Azle ISD History

By the 1800s, two schools existed in Azle: Ash Creek, with 15 students, and Walnut Creek, with 35. The schools extended only through eighth grade. A college was built in 1882, which later consolidated with the Azle School.

In 1884, a new building was erected at what is now 209 W. Main Street that incorporated a high school, a grammar school, and a primary school.

Azle’s first school built to house all grades, the two-story “Red Brick School,” opened in 1914. It had four classrooms downstairs and an auditorium upstairs. The first superintendent was W.A. Meacham.

In the 1920s and 1930s, Azle schools incorporated with numerous rural common school districts in the surrounding area including Promised Land, Sabathany, Steele, and Slover. By 1930, Azle offered 11 grades and was one of only 11 districts in Tarrant County to provide the maximum grades offered in Texas at the time.

Because a larger schoolhouse was needed, local residents sought New Deal Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds to build a concrete and rock structure in 1939 called the Rock School. The 31-member class of 1939 became the first to graduate from the new Rock School. Mr. H.H. Sampson was the district's superintendent in 1939 and Mr. Estes Reynolds was the principal.

Azle Public Schools became the Azle Independent School District in 1946. At that time, the Red Brick School served as a grade school and was located behind the Rock School. In 1948, the Liberty School and Briar School consolidated with Azle. 

A new Azle High School opened on School Street in 1953 and the Rock School began serving grades 1-8. In 1970, when another new Azle High School opened on Boyd Road, this building became Azle Junior High, which it still is today.

A new “Rock School” was opened on Lakeview Drive in 2019 and the former “Rock School” building became the Azle ISD Administration Building.

Texas History mark