Do I HAVE to do it?

Posted by:

Starting this year, it is a requirement by the state of Texas that all students must either file the FAFSA, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or file an opt-out form in order to graduate this May. If a student is planning or considering attending a college, university, or trade school, it is in the best interest of your student to file the FAFSA in order to apply for government grants and institutional college scholarships. If they do not plan to pursue post-secondary education, they can see their counselor for an opt-out form. If the student is 18 or older, they can sign their own opt-out form. However, if they are not 18, they will need a parent or guardian to sign the opt-out form.

If a student does not qualify to file the FAFSA, they may file the TASFA, which is the Texas Application for State Financial Aid.

If a student decides NOT to file the FAFSA or TASFA, they can fill out an opt out form. They can access the form here, or go see their counselor to receive the form.