Phone: 817-444-5555 ext. 2090
Degrees and Certifications:
B.A. English- Texas Tech University (2016) M.A. English Literature- Wichita State University (2018)
Mr. Cole Miller
Hello, I am Cole Miller, Secondary ELA Teacher at Azle High School.
For the 2020-2021 School Year, I am a Virtual Teacher for English and will be teaching the following:
- English 2/English 4 Combination
- Honors English 2 (Face-to-Face/Virtual Combination)
I received my Bachelor's in English from Texas Tech University in 2016 and my Master's in English Literature from Wichita State University in 2018.
My teaching experience began as an Instructor at Wichita State University, where, for two years, I taught Freshmen and Sophomore-Level Composition, Rhetoric, and Business/Technical Writing.
I have taught at Azle High School for two years, teaching English 3 and English 2 over that time. I am also part of the AVID Site Team, growing the AVID courses, curriculum, and initiatives in our school and community.
In a complicated world, I find joy in simple things. My hobbies are watching or playing basketball, video games, playing music, DIY projects, gardening, cooking, and exercising. You can probably find me running at one of the parks around town in the morning/evening or grilling Jalapeno poppers in the backyard with my dog, Dany.
I am a writer of short fiction, poetry, and critical essays; I also write sports articles and insight pieces on current issues and events, including the experience as an educator; I am currently working on my first novel and hope to complete it by 2021 (barring spouts of procrastination). Basically, I like to write about stuff.
My vacation plans are usually kayaking and camping with my dog or spending time with my family.
I am a digitally-oriented teacher who uses technology in class nearly every day and, as such, I am usually best at communicating via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
I also have a Remind for my classes and will provide info on all of this soon.
I am excited to embark on this new, challenging experience with all of you.
My tentative class schedule is:
1st Period: (Virtual) English 2/ English 4
2nd Period: (Combination: Face-to-Face and Virtual) English 2
3rd Period: CONFERENCE (For Tutoring, Questions, Make-up Work, etc.)
4th Period: (Combination: Face-to-Face and Virtual) English 2
5th Period: (Virtual) English 2/ English 4
6th Period: (Virtual) English 2/ English 4
7th Period: (Combination: Face-to-Face and Virtual) English 2
8th Period: (Virtual) English 2/ English 4
TUTORIAL: Thursday 4:00-4:30pm or by appointment
Note: These may change and I will try to update site as changes occur, but please remain engaged in Classlink, Parentlink, and with the District's announcements.
CLASS FORMAT (VIRTUAL INCLUDED)
1. When you start your day, check your email. EVERY DAY; you will receive many different emails, including alerts on upcoming due dates and assignments.
2. Stay consistent with your routine
- Virtual learners will still have "class periods" and you are expected to attend the Google Meet sessions during those times
- Virtual learners also must submit something each class each day to be counted present (but you have until 11:59pm each day).
3. A little behind? Check Calendar and make up missing work ASAP; also, keep in touch with me so I know what's going on
4. Question during lecture? Raise your hand or use the chat, do not interrupt with mic. We also have a Q&A built in to the lesson.
5. During small group breakout, you must participate at least once/week.
6. DOUBLE-CHECK ALL SUBMISSIONS ONLINE
7. NO MICS OR VIDEO UNLESS WE ARE IN PRE-LECTURE OR IN Q&A
- There are many reasons for this but primarily internet connection, privacy concerns, etc.
- Additionally, I will be recording select lectures to post to Canvas for students who miss or simply wish to re-watch the material.
- Many students claim to submit but an error occurs or they leave the page before it fully processes; moreover, saying "but I know I submitted it" IS NOT ENOUGH and teachers must assume you knew it was an error in submission
8. Be careful in Chat; if you are trying to just ask ME a question, don't send the message to the class; alternatively, sometimes I will ask you to say something for the class to see.