• Transcript

    Should I keep the Letter Grade Transcript option or should I choose the Pass/Fail Transcript Option?

    Q - What does this mean?

    Answer: By taking a UT OnRamps course, you are taking a college course with the opportunity for college credit. An option that UT provides to you is to select whether or not you want to take the college credit on a UT-Austin Transcript to reflect the Letter Grade that you earn in the course or to reflect that you either Passed/Failed the course.  

    By default, in qualifying for the college credit in an OnRamps course, you are enrolled for the Letter Grade option.

    Q - It seems like Pass/Fail is the best option – shouldn’t I just choose it?

    Answer: It is highly recommended to look at your potential college or university to see how that institution will handle and accept transfer credit in regards to Letter Grades or Pass/Fail for the course. For example, at UT, a student may receive credit for anything higher than a D in their OnRamps course. If that same student earns a D and elects to attend UT, he/she would have a 0.67 GPA (Letter Grade courses in OnRamps count for UT GPA since it is a UT course) in his/her first year at UT. However, if that student earned an A and elected to attend UT, he/she would have a 4.0 GPA in his/her first year at UT. This is important to note because, at UT, core courses MUST be a Letter Grade, so if the OnRamps sample student elected to take the Pass/Fail credit and passed the OnRamps course, he/she would not receive credit for that core course on his/her UT Transcript for graduation and would have to retake the course later on in college.

    Q – But what if I don’t plan on going to UT?

    Answer: Every Institution of Higher Education has specific policies about how transfer credit for a Letter Grade or Pass/Fail applies to a student’s GPA. Be sure to note whether the college or university you are intending to attend is a public or private university in the state of Texas or out of state altogether. Public schools in the state of Texas have additional requirements that will help the transferability of your OnRamps courses whereas private schools in and outside of Texas will have altogether different policies and practices.

    Q - So what would you recommend as next steps?

    Answer: Look at your top five colleges/universities you intend to apply/attend. Look at their transfer policies for Undergraduate Admissions in Transfer Credit. Find the policy around accepting Letter Grades or Pass/Fail grades for those schools – this may help you in your decision to attempt the UT OnRamps course for Letter Grade or Pass/Fail. Also, look at the course equivalencies.
    The UT OnRamps courses are:   

    • RHE 306K (Research and Writing)
    • RHE 309K (Reading and Writing the Rhetoric of the American Identity)
    • Math 305G (Preparation for Precalculus)
    • SDS 302 (Data Analytics - Statistics)

    Below there are links and sample information for Public Texas Institutions, Private Texas Institutions and popular out of state institutions. If one of your top 5 schools is on this list, it may help you make your decision. In general, public colleges in Texas accept either version, except for UT and A&M, who prefer the "Graded Transferable Credit" in the form of the Letter Grade. Private colleges in Texas tend to not accept Pass/Fail credits. The Public out-of-state examples below tend to highlight, similarly to Public Texas Colleges/Universities, that they will accept either transcript grade form, but the Pass/Fail option will not be factored into the collegiate GPA.

    General Recommendation - 
    Knowing that most colleges and universities, regardless of public or private, tend to prefer and utilize the Letter Grade Transcript, it may be in your best interest to keep this option and do your very best in the OnRamps courses! This also keeps the doors open for you in many respects as you narrow down your college options to the institution that you will attend!

    PUBLIC Colleges/Universities in TEXAS

    The University of Texas at Austin

    Letter Grade – A student that earns a D- or better in an OnRamps course may count that toward their UT core curriculum requirements.

    P/F - Does Not Take Pass/Fail – Core courses are only accepted for Letter Grades at UT Austin, therefore students who do not earn a Letter Grade will not be able to apply their OnRamps course to core curriculum requirements at the University.


    Texas Tech University



    All transferable credit will be included in your total earned hours at Texas Tech; however, the GPA from your transfer credit is not calculated into your TTU GPA.

    Letter Grade - In order to be eligible for transfer. you must have earned a minimum grade of "D" or above at the sending institution. However, most degree programs require at least a grade of "C" or above in all courses applicable for your degree.

    P/F - Identified as Core, then institution counts it as Core via the Transcript of P/F or Grade earned.


    Texas A&M University

    Letter Grade – “Graded Transferrable Credit” – does not factor into A&M college GPA, but could affect later on if a student is in a special admission program. For example, Dual Credit GPA may factor in during partial programs admission decisions (Registrar would look at cumulative GPA of all transfer courses to make the admission decision and having a P in there for credit would take that course out of consideration for admissions.)

    P/F -Does Not Take Pass/Fail – would not apply to A&M degree plan


    University of North Texas

    Letter Grade – counts toward college credit AND college GPA

    P/F -counts toward college credit but not for college GPA


    Tarleton State University

    Letter Grade –counts for college credit AND will count in college GPA

    P/F – counts for college credit but not in college GPA



    PRIVATE Colleges/Universities in TEXAS

    Baylor University

    To receive credit for a course, a student must earn a C or higher and Baylor must have an equivalent course. Credit will be given for these courses, but it will not apply to the Baylor GPA.

    Letter Grade –Will only accept credit from sending institution transcript that has Letter Grade

    P/F – Will not be given credit


    Southern Methodist University

    Letter Grade - Courses with a grade below a C-minus (Note: Although the course is non-transferable, the grade received below a C- will count towards a student’s admission eligibility and is calculated into his/her all-college GPA, which is used when calculating Latin degree honors at graduation time.)

    P/F - SMU accepts the grade of Pass for transfer courses with regard to the grading scale used at the awarding institution. For example, if the transferring institution defines "P" as passing and earning credit, then we will evaluate it as a "P" and award credit. All SMU students are limited to a total of 12 hours of Pass credits. This includes grades earned for accepted transfer courses. This requirement cannot be waived.


    Texas Christian University

    Letter Grade - TCU will accept all or most academic credits you have earned with grades of “C” or better from other accredited institutions. To determine your qualification for admission, a GPA will be computed on all potentially transferable course work, including repeated courses, courses in which grades of “F,” “D” and “I” (incomplete) were received, and course work attempted in another college’s conditional or probationary program. Unconverted “I” grades will be computed as “F.” Grades earned in PE activity classes will not be computed toward GPA, although credit will be granted if grades are “C” or better. Cumulative GPA will be used for admission only, not computed into your TCU graduation GPA.

    Courses that do not transfer to TCU - Course work with a grade below a “C” (GPA will count as admission credential).

    P/F – Will not be given credit


    Rice University

    Courses taken at another regionally accredited college or university, that are appropriate to the Rice curriculum, may be approved for transfer credit toward a Rice University undergraduate degree. This includes credit for summer school courses not taken at Rice. Credit is normally given for courses that meet the following conditions:

    • cannot be used to satisfy high school graduation requirements (dual-credit)
    • taken for a grade (not taken pass/fail)
    • completed with at least a grade of C- or its equivalent

    Letter Grade – Will take if C or higher – will need further discussion on RU definition of Dual Credit.

    P/F – Will not take P/F – “taken for a grade (not taken pass/fail)”



    PUBLIC Out-of-State

    University of Arkansas

    Letter Grade – Not counted for GPA. The course has a grade of C or better.

    P/F – Taken as a Pass, but only will take it as P or F, not S

    Grades earned at another institution are not computed in the University of Arkansas cumulative grade point average. The acceptance of courses for general transfer, whether listed as designated, core, or limited, does not constitute acceptance of the transfer courses or the university’s courses for the fulfillment of degree requirements. You should read carefully the requirements for graduation in the appropriate college section of the catalog and consult with the Dean’s Office of the college which will grant your degree.


    Oklahoma University

    Letter Grade – counts for college credit earned AND counts toward college GPA

    P/F – counts for college credit earned, but not for college GPA

    OU Recommends taking the Letter Grade to help overall OU GPA


    Oklahoma State University

    Letter Grade – college credit earned and counts toward college GPA. Grade Transfers at OSU preferred transfer option for course credit per the University

    P/F – will give credit, but will not factor into college GPA. Considered equivalent to CLEP at OSU